Energy Saving Life Hacks



Further to my post about fatigue. I was thinking about the things I've learned to do that help me save energy, which are helpful but of which none are rocket science. I'm sure there's a whole heap of things that you do much better than me, so if there is anything you'd like to share, please comment!

Do you remember the 'boom and bust' theory (see earlier post re Fatigue)? As someone who experiences this fairly frequently, I need to keep an eye on my energy levels. However, getting the balance right is really difficult. Added to this, sometimes fatigue just nips you unexpectedly.

I find the following helpful in countering this; I hope it helps you too.

1. Batch freeze/cook. In my boom periods (mostly weekends), I cook soups, chicken, pasta, just to put in the freezer or refrigerator. This especially helps when I've come home from work, but had a lighter meal at lunchtime and would like to eat something warm and substantial.

2. Slow cook. This requires some planning, as often you have to cook on a low setting and it can take  6-8 hours. However, it can produce some amazing food that you can freeze or keep in the fridge for a few days. I found some nice recipes here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow-cooker-recipes.aspx

3. Tray bakes. Usually, tray bakes refer to cakes but here, I mean dinner! It takes a while to prepare, chop etc but it's very worth the effort as t's a little like slow cooking, only you can eat it within an hour. Here are some lovely recipes: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/collections/tray-bake-recipes

4. Online shopping. Bit of a no-brainer. As I'm not one for crowds, I often click and collect at a local store so I don't pay the delivery charge, and I'm in and out as quickly as I can. I only do this, however, with shopping I know I can easily return without too much fuss, and not with items I am more likely to return (e.g. shoes, clothes - I hate to'ing and fro'ing).

5. Tumble dry. The most amazing time and life-saving device humans ever created! Particularly with marker-pen-pushing, mud-attracting, puddle-loving, little people.

6. Prep. The night before, I lay everything out that I need for work so I can get going more easily on mornings when my fatigue has taken hold.

7. Chopping food. I have a special pair of scissors that cut through softer fruits or vegetables. Where possible, I buy packs of frozen vegetables, some of which are already chopped, e.g, onions, peppers. On Amazon, there are a number of time and labour-saving devices, such as one for dealing with an avocado!

8. Planning. If I'm meeting a friend or have an appointment, I'll save up my tasks so that I can carry them out in the same block of time. It might mean I'm more tired that day, but it means other days are quieter. In the freezer, I have packs of chicken nuggets or fish cakes, easy to put in the oven on those low energy days when standing to cook can hurt.

9. Cleaning. I know I have to but I don't revel in it. A few years ago, I came across a book by Caroline Buchanan which centred around trying to help people out of procrastination. The idea is you set up a time to complete a task, focus on it for 15 minutes and feel motivated that you've completed something you have put off. For someone watching energy levels, this is a brilliant way to look at tasks, as I can rest in between. I tend to complete more involved tasks on the weekends or when I can get help.

10. Apps. I have a travel app to tell me when my next bus is due. It means I don't have to wait there in the cold or heat (see symptoms) and can go at my own pace. Oh, and I have a toilet app to show me where the nearest loo is. They're hit and miss, needing investment, but can sometimes stop me wandering around aimlessly and urgently.

11. Please offer me a seat. In London, we have a badge to use on public transport for those who find it hard to stand, and have an unseen disability. It has mixed success sometimes, but it saves pain and my legs.

12. Other people, i.e. ask people for help. It doesn't make you a useless parent, colleague, friend, it makes you human and a tired one at that.








Popular posts from this blog

Blogs, Vlogs & Lots of Dialogue: Where Have I Been?

Ghosting Someone with a Chronic Illness

5 Tips for Friends of Chronically Ill Folk