Poem: Thank You to my Support Network


I wrote this poem the other day whilst watching a television programme. I've not been feeling very well these last few months, so I really need others to understand why I'm flying under the radar at the moment. I'm not sure which muse I channelled, but I think it very much sums up how I feel about my communities, both personal, social, medical and online.


Thank You to my Support Network

People say I look well,

And they say it with heart,

I say “I’m fine!”

(I've got it down to an art!).


The invisible pain,

Being careful with stress,

The fatigue, cog fog

And other nonsense.


Would you really want to know?

Would you be able to cope?

Uphill on a MeSsy slippery slope.


Yes, sometimes I cry

When the future’s unclear,

Every memory is precious,

Every moment is dear,


But there’s no death or disaster,

Insurmountable blow,

Just unpredictable hope -

Time to recover and grow.


Thank you for empathy,

Patience - too kind -

You’re all really good for

The soul and the mind.


I’m sorry to cancel,

Not call, be in touch,

I don’t want you to think that

You don’t mean that much.


I need time, understanding,

So just do what you can

If I feel a bit low when

Not all went to plan.


BUT you don’t need to worry

Or be sad or upset –

On the whole I am well,

Soon be my best yet!


I am happy and hopeful,

Plan the future, like you.

It just happens I'm disabled - 

And resilient – who knew?!


Strength comes from myself,

From others, from you,

You’re all bloody brilliant!

Thanks for all that you do.
© Carla King, 2018


If you have enjoyed reading my blog and would like to be notified of new posts and information from other organisations, please follow me at https://www.facebook.com/myMSbullyandme

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs, Vlogs & Lots of Dialogue: Where Have I Been?

Ghosting Someone with a Chronic Illness

A Chronically Ill Christmas