Keeping My Bully at Bay

As I explained in an earlier blog, my bully and I live together by sharing a body. I didn't choose it, it chose me and only me (I'm the MS chosen one in my family). I may not always be able to keep my bully at bay physically, however I feel like I fight it in other ways.

One of those ways is through writing this blog. I find writing hugely rewarding but I'm also hoping to reach people, lots of them, with it. I've written a couple of blogs before, but the below is one I wrote for the MS Trust that got rather a lot of views and shares via Facebook: My Diagnosis Story.

Over the last couple of years, I have been asked to speak at a few conferences as a 'patient expert.' I've spoken to newly-diagnosed MSers, neuroscientists and junior doctors. I find this enabling. I think this is because I have a voice and that's something my bully won't take away from me.

I've been on top of as much of the latest news I can, whether that's online or attending research days. I probably understand about thirty per cent of what I read (I studied humanities, not science, for a reason).The fact that I can spot erroneous 'facts' presented in media, and sometimes in online communities, means I probably know more than I think I do.  The point is that if I feel if I better understand my MS through what I read, I can feel more in control and less concerned about the future.

I talk about MS to pretty much anyone who is interested. I'm extremely transparent at work and an open book to everyone. I think MS is one of those things that everyone knows something about, however they don't know enough to have sufficient understanding of the topic that they feel confident about asking questions. It becomes a vicious circle. I try to break this circle by talking about MS anytime I can. There, now you know: I'm an opportunist!

For the most part, my bully does not interrupt the more serious parts of my life. I work, I got married, I had a child, I bought a house, and so on. When you have a chronic condition, it's important to celebrate your milestones and successes so actually I think it's good to pat ourselves on the back from time to time.

This is what really keeps the bully at bay.






Popular posts from this blog

Blogs, Vlogs & Lots of Dialogue: Where Have I Been?

Ghosting Someone with a Chronic Illness

5 Tips for Friends of Chronically Ill Folk