Adapting to Change

Not so long ago, I was employed in a full-time role which averaged at 53 hours per week. The measures of success that myself and my peers used were about climbing the management ladder and being 'well paid'. I was content with both these things for a while, however they soon came at a price and this prompted a few realisations.

Looking back, there were specific milestones that led to my current way of thinking. I decided to become part-time in my last role, due to high levels of fatigue stemming from a weakened immune system caused by pneumonia and a severe deficiency in Vitamin D. The long hours I spent at work also meant I was missing out on early motherhood, all of which meant change was in order.

I sought a role which could offer me flexibility whilst still giving masses of reward. But this time, the reward I sought wasn't purely financial. In fact, I reduced significantly in salary in order to do the job I wanted to do. This allowed me the freedom to look at the role from another perspective; to think what I would receive in more significant ways to me - something I hadn't really done in some years.

I became quite choosey about the roles I would look at. In fact, I took my time finding out what others did, how I might link my previous skills and experience, and thinking about steps toward the career goals I wanted to achieve.

Why am I telling you my career backstory?

Sometimes, life happens (replace 'life' with something else!) and we have the option to either collapse in a heap or forge ahead. Appreciating that sometimes we don't always get an option, some of the time we have control, even if it doesn't always feel like it. We gain that control through looking at what keeps us going every day, what we feel we can strive for and feeling confident that we can adapt in adversity. The circumstances I describe above made me think about what I really wanted and what motivates me.

Not sure you can do this? Ok, let me ask you the following:
  • What keeps you going every day? (your 'motivators')
  • What is one small change you'd like to make in the next month? (your 'small step')
  • What is one goal you would like to set yourself for the next 6 months? (your 'big step')
  • Who makes you happy? (your 'community')

Understanding your motivators allows you to think about what you're good at and what rewards incentivise you. This is vital to helping you through challenging times. Small steps and big steps have to be realistic, e.g. I wouldn't  even try to be in the next Paralympics, for example, as there is no way I am built for such a thing! The best way to achieve something is to be realistic about it, rather than set yourself up for failure. That's when your resilience diminishes and goodness knows we need our resilience! An achievable goal makes you feel good about achieving it. The timeframe isn't important but the goal has to be achievable in the timeframe you've set it.

Why do you need a goal?  You don't, but having one helps incentivise and focus you. In order to increase your motivation, it's helpful to have people around you to both cheer you on and to recognise your successes.

Reacting to change is part of the human condition. It's how we react to this change that is the making of us.

If you have enjoyed reading my blog and would like to be notified of new posts and information from other organisations, please follow me at https://www.facebook.com/myMSbullyandme


Popular posts from this blog

Blogs, Vlogs & Lots of Dialogue: Where Have I Been?

Ghosting Someone with a Chronic Illness

5 Tips for Friends of Chronically Ill Folk