Summertime and the Living is Not so Easy

It's thirty-four degrees today. Flies are on their backs, curtains and windows are closed, and those who are braving this insanely hot world are doing so using umbrellas for shade. I literally don't think I've ever been in such a hot climate.

We MSers have a really tough time in the heat. We are taking to online forums in our droves, complaining about how unbearable this is and begging others for ideas of how to combat the heat. I currently have more than one tower fan pointed at me while I write this post. I'm also using dictation software as I can barely open my eyes.

For many of us, we talk about heat in the same way as we describe fatigue. Both are insidious and there is little to control them. It seems apt, then, that one is a source of the other. If I didn't do the tips I mention below, I wouldn't be able to function and goodness knows, we mums cannot stop.

In the past few weeks, I've also been getting increased blurred vision. At first, I thought this was migraine but with no other signs, I made an interesting discovery: this Healthline article describes Uhthoff's Phenomenon, an ophthalmological effect, due to damage in the optic nerve and disruption in signals between this and the brain.

I'm not going to pretend that I completely understand the science behind why MSers are so affected by heat. However, I do know that increased body temperature often exacerbates or creates symptoms, which are weakening and frustrating, albeit temporary in most cases.

As always, I'd like to give you some tips - none are ground-breaking, just common sense, but when you're fatigued the last thing you want to do is to think hard, so here's a pretty good list:
  1. Buy a fan - tower fan, desk fan, standing fan, USB fan, one or all of the above. Buy multiple if you can, as they're so handy in heatwaves, just think about storage!
  2. Keep water with you at all times. I've just discovered these beauties - ridiculously expensive, but they are genuinely worth it! If you don't like the look of these, get an ordinary water bottle, add water, and store it in the freezer for roughly 15 minutes before you go out (keep it in a plastic bag as it will melt as you go)
  3. If you're not a fan of plain water, water down some cordial
  4. Have a bottle of water by your bed
  5. Keep a jug of water in the fridge
  6. Put a light scarf in the fridge for a few minutes and put it around your neck - this cools down the whole central nervous symptom in one fell swoop
  7. Wear light, loose clothing (dark colours attract the sun)
  8. Buy a handheld, battery-powered fan for when you're travelling - the paper ones are lovely but there is no need to exert that extra energy!
  9. If you need to go out, try to do this in the early morning or evening, if possible
  10. Online shopping is the best invention since the toaster
  11. Close your curtains and windows between 12 and 3pm - okay not all of them, as you don't want to live like a mole, but at least do this for the bedrooms
  12. Some people swear by cooling sprays but I just bought a travel spray bottle, filled it with water, and then put the fan in my direction - bliss!
I have never prayed more for rain in my life! I'm sure when it comes, I'll be praying for the sun, just please give me a breeze and a temperature which means I don't have to gulp down my ice cream.

Keep cool, everyone!

If you have enjoyed reading my blog and would like to be notified of new posts and information from other organisations, please follow me at https://www.facebook.com/myMSbullyandme

Popular posts from this blog

Blogs, Vlogs & Lots of Dialogue: Where Have I Been?

Ghosting Someone with a Chronic Illness

5 Tips for Friends of Chronically Ill Folk